Saturday, June 17, 2006

Run 75 - Half way there ahead of time

Note: I tried to post this yesterday but it was blocked,so the present tense is from when it was typed not posted....



Without realising it today was exactly half-way towards my one lonely goal of running 150 times for the year. To complete 75 runs in less than 6 months would be by far the most consistent I have ever been. It also leads me to ponder how easy it is for me now to just run.



However this pales into insignificance when compared to this mornings running partner – Stu – who is at the end of 14days straight and 15 runs in total!!! In 2 weeks he does the same workload I do in a month…. While I can sit and admire the discipline required to consistently train 5-6 times a week, I know that this is not for me right now, to even attempt this would be a fruitless and foolish thing for me.



Does it affect my ability to run at my best? Possibly, probably, but who knows. Given my training history and previous race results, I reckon I could have received pretty big odds to break 3:15 on the GOR – but I did. Would I recommend my situation to anyone trying to improve their running? No, not unless there situation almost exactly mirrored mine and they had similar goals and outlook.



Do I enjoy my running more now? Absolutely!! To do what I do now and just run, whatever distance / time / pace I choose once the shoes are on seems automatic now. I rarely get the ‘struggle’ of days gone by when sometimes even a steady 8k was an effort. I know I can run for 2hrs plus without any care or concern. This is beyond the imaginings of most people I encounter each week. That alone is my reward and justification.


Do I have a running habit? No – I still have to make myself get the gear on and run, especially when I am all warm and cosy at home. For this reason I run 3 times weekly rather than the 4 times I might prefer. But I get around that by finding people to run with, which is why I am prepared to get up before 6 to drive for 40min to run with one mate for an hour and then drive 40min home again. It makes me run.


As for todays run:
An interesting start when my usual ‘freebie parking’ in East Melb was full and I had no change for a meter. So I had to explore a little to find either a shop to get change or another freebie spot. I found a freebie (many more spots than my usual place) on the other side of Fitzroy Gardens. A light trot through the gardens to Fed Sq to meet Stu.
We headed up towards Princes Park, which is a slightly longer loop, but a good mixture of scenery. It crosses a few too many roads, but it is good as a change. We had a nice steady pace going and the conversation matched it perfectly (that’s why I enjoy company). Swanston St hill was gone, then before long we were on the back of the cemetery. Princes Park was quieter than normal. Then after the 3qtr lap we were headed back to the city. Once near the train stations the crowd got thicker so we had to slow it down, but it was nice just to cruise and do a bit of dodgems…..I think Stu & I were together for about 50min before we parted ways again. Then a return to the car via the river and Birrarung Marr. All up probably 70odd min running (I don’t stop/start my watch on these runs) and approx 13k. A great morning for a run with mild conditions and good company.


Stu will enjoy a day off tomorrow – well he should if he is smart!! While I will try and string 3 runs in 3 days together over the weekend……


A rambling post I know…..but I got all philosophical when I realised this was run 75 of 150!!

3 Comments:

At 18/6/06 1:35 PM, Blogger Em said...

well done on the milestone. I really love your outlook to running, totally relaxed and at ease with yourself, I often take a look at your blog in my more neurotic moments. You do so well already off much less than many people I would say you have been blessed with a great deal of natural athleticism. I hope your boys develop the same great attitude, just to enjoy sport to be healthy and for the joy of it :-)

 
At 18/6/06 4:37 PM, Blogger Stu Mac said...

Thanks heaps for the run on Friday Clarkey, your right I did enjoy Sat off and this morning's run was very easy too and really felt like another rest day.

It will be a light week and hopefully have a good race on Sat at the Coliban Relay.

Stu

 
At 27/6/06 10:38 PM, Blogger Sekhmet said...

Hmm, getting a bit slack on the posting again M...... Or is that because you have been slack with your running???? LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home