Thursday, June 01, 2006

Wed 31st - run 68 - shoxing....

An evening run yesterday, I could not drag myself out for an early morning run & my normal 10am start was  changed to 9am so I aborted, with the hope of a night time run.

We have had Pre-school cleaning duty this week so every night we have spent an hour cleaning, which takes away some of the chance to run. But through a stroke of bad luck, the family had to drive to Mt Martha to rescue the MIL who had lost her car keys, I was left with the cleaning all on my own, but it did provide enough time before the family returned to run for 40 odd mins.

 

When getting ready I spied my bright red Shox Turbo’s and thought its been a while since I had worn those, and after all it was only a 40 min run…..so I put them on.

Once out the door it occurred to me that I was probably being a bit cocky thinking that I could now just run in any shoes I had without issue. In the past the shape of the Shox was just not quite right, but once on the road they actually felt pretty good, I had forgotten how light they were (or felt).

 

On the road I started out at a decent pace and figured that I would keep the tempo up for as long as I could, knowing the chosen course was a little bit up and down but not too bad. A lap of the block was covered in good time, then down to the main road. Here I got a mild amusement based on an unproven theory. About 5 or 6 cars waiting for the lights, GREEN, no-one moved…..pause, then off they went. It left me wondering if they were all distracted by a crazy man in an orange top and shorts on a cold dark night…..

 

Moving well, I guessed my pace was well below 4m30s, but not sure by how much. I got into the new estate behind the oval and here there is road and street lights, but not a building…yet….it will be interesting to keep running through here once building starts. Hard work up a small rise felt all too easy, the recently objecting calf muscle did not even whimper. Discovered some fairly new concrete paths, did the right thing….did a quick ‘its not soft’ and then ran right over it….I’ll find out next time how hard it really was. From here I knew there were a number of hills to get home. I kept the effort up and a few times felt like I was working too hard, but quickly recovered for a quick finish. Only an idiot driver honking despite me getting off the road for them annoyed me….

 

40min, more than 9k but not much more I’d guess. Happy with the work-out. Shoes verdict – I’d wear them again for a short sharp session like that.

 

Run 68 out of 150, I’m 5 runs up on my goal.

3 Comments:

At 3/6/06 4:57 PM, Blogger Sekhmet said...

Geez Clarkey - you're in a posting frenzy!!! Will all this extra activity carry on over into the forum I wonder? It might need to with the post counts fading into oblivion ;)

 
At 3/6/06 5:52 PM, Blogger Em said...

Just catching up on blog land after a week in Sydney, you have become a dedicated blogger in my absence. I thought about an old Ausrun post of yours about running down a hill arms raised "titanic" style, I did something similar in Sydney this week, in the pitch dark around the Botanical Gardens :-)lucky my only witness was a couple of fruit bats.

Loved your DIY post too, I am more of a DI Don't, my poor garden has taken a back seat to running.

Keep enjoying your running.

 
At 6/6/06 8:19 PM, Blogger Jaykay said...

I would have got a stick and written my name in the concrete!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home