Friday, May 26, 2006

1st run PM, run 66 for the year

After a couple of aborted attempts on Wed & Thurs I finally got my first Post Marathon run completed.

I met up with Stu Mac & Laurie in the city for the normal Friday trundle.

 

The fog at home should have been an indicator, but the radio weather confirmed it 5 degrees….and I didn’t layer up at all.

My first 4 steps were ominous, a sharp pain right in the top of my left knee. Fortunately this quickly passed and before long the nervous “how are the legs” thoughts were gone and it was great to be running again.

 

The 1.5k jog to the meeting point was great, and since I was early I had the chance to stretch and loosen up a little more. Not long afterwards Stu & Laurie were there. The Tan was the chosen destination. The cool morning didn’t really affect me, except that the back of my hands got very sore – perhaps gloves are an option. The 3 of us are a good fit for an easy morning run, since we can all find plenty to keep us occupied which I like as the k’s melt away when there’s plenty of eager discussion.

 

Before long we were at the bottom of Anderson St, cruised up like it wasn’t there and I knew the legs were in good shape. The back half I don’t remember which is good. The only time I gave the legs a thought was just as we were coming back up Swanston St, and then once I was on my own again, the legs felt tired. I remember thinking there is no way I could do a 10k race today. Which is curious given I had just covered approx 11k for the run…..see they do melt away when you are distracted.

 

Now, I’m a little tender in the calves and hamstrings, but nothing unusual. It is probably just an indication that my first run back should have been an easy 5-6k but I wouldn’t trade my group runs for that.  So I am now confident that I am back in the swing, no soreness of the ITB or the shin which threatened to surface after the race.

This is one happy runner right now.

3 Comments:

At 26/5/06 5:08 PM, Blogger Em said...

Good to see you had a sucessful return.

Any thoughts to your next goal? Or are you going to have a small break and just enjoy running for the sake of it for a while?

Loved the offical photo's as well, particularly the finishing line with your son, I am sure he will treasure that when he is old enough to understand the enormity of what you acheived. And hopefully encourge another couple of runners in the years to come :-)

 
At 26/5/06 8:10 PM, Blogger Stu Mac said...

Thanks for the invite this morning Clarkey, a nice easy run and a good chat before work is always fun!

Stu

 
At 27/5/06 9:17 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Congrats again on the GOR and great to hear you have pulled up well. All the correct preparation and hard work paid off!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home