Monday, April 17, 2006

The long long run & the good legs

After Run for the Kids and also getting back to work after holidays, this week I had 2 shortish runs of 7km & 8km and a 11k run. Which didn’t seem like much, given recent weeks my shortest runs have been around 10k. But I made plans for a good long hit-out on Saturday, a group was meeting at 3pm for a 15k or 90min run. So I figured that I’d stretch it out by running before them….a good idea in theory.

 

I left the Mt Evelyn carpark on the Warby Trail at 1pm, with the plan of an easy 2hrs to be back by 3pm to meet the group. I was constantly trying to keep the brakes on as I knew that coming back to Mt Evelyn the trail is a long grind up a slight incline. I got to the 60min turnaround and was feeling pretty good, but it was then that I remembered that before the long grind to Mt Evelyn, is the long grind up to Wandin……so for the greater majority of the 2nd 60min it was a good work-out to ensure I got back in even time to meet the group.

 

2hrs in and feeling pretty good. I had time for a shirt change and a fuel stop – freddos / gatorade / snakes – before we made our way. The plan was to follow some cross country trails from Mt Evelyn to the Silvan Dam. I knew I’d be OK because the unknown trail meant the group had to stay together and I could play back-marker or go ahead depending on how the legs felt. At this point I was conscious of the fact that any technical ups and downs would be tough work on the legs, so I deliberately took these sections very easy. Along the way on the made trails and dirt roads the legs felt pretty good and my fitness was rarely challenged.

 

3hrs in and the group was thoroughly enjoying the outing and a longer route was proposed. A quick calculation and I realised that my 3hr30min run was going to quickly become 4hrs plus!! OK – sensible now, no heroics, just run within yourself and get home in one piece. At this point I was fending off the potential cramps by taking it very slow and sometimes walking the technical bits. They hovered under the surface and at no point did they grab hold. With the homeward stretch under way and the course hitting a dirt road I hooked up with a buddy and we found a steady rhythm to keep the legs ticking over. I did not want to stop/start too much from here. We started up a good hill and as it stretched out ahead and upwards I found myself feeling very strong which was extremely encouraging at this point leading up to 4hrs. We struck the top and found no obvious path to take – fork in the road. We stopped and waited and perhaps by good luck it turned out that we needed to turn-off about 500m further back…..rather than being pissed off or annoyed, I was actually glad we took the whole hill, reflection had this as the most satisfying part of the run.

 

4hrs in and we were definitely getting closer to home. From here I was just concentrating on making sure I didn’t trip / fall / jump etc to bring on an injury or cramp etc. At this point all reflexes and ability to deal with sudden change are gone. A couple of sharp climbs to get out that tested the resolve, but still at this point the fitness was holding up well. We had a gentle last km to finish which was nice. After more than 4hrs running I was done. Quickly into jumper and track pants, more Gatorade, some stretching and hot chips then in the car to get home…..

 

An approximate calculation has me somewhere between 40 and 42km – I don’t want it to be further than that because marathons are supposed to be leg shattering ordeals…..and this run was tough but not and ordeal. Even though I know it was stop-start and with breaks etc. It still gives me great confidence leading into both Puffing Billy and the Great Ocean Road.

 

2 days later and my legs feel fantastic, I have not run again yet, that should be tonight, but there is no stiffness and no niggles. I keep waiting for the injury to hit, but so far so good. One more long run and if that goes to plan, then I’ll sign up for my first marathon & ultra 45km race.

4 Comments:

At 17/4/06 3:47 PM, Blogger Sekhmet said...

*shaking head*

You are nuts! But what an effort Clarkey :) You'll blitz the Mara.

I must have been lagging right at the back because I missed the discussion about taking a longer route.....

 
At 18/4/06 4:24 PM, Blogger Jaykay said...

Wow Clarkey, what an amazing effort.

Looking forward to doing a "Magical Mystery Tour" soon!

 
At 20/4/06 11:32 AM, Blogger Stu Mac said...

WOW, you guys are crazy, way too long for me!

 
At 20/4/06 8:03 PM, Blogger Em said...

That was a great effort Clarkey, you are a natural.

There is an article in the latest runners world on training for the Marthon on 3 sessions a week, looked right up your alley

 

Post a Comment

<< Home