Saturday, July 15, 2006

Long run in the darkness, rain and cold

With the need to be home by 9am, I had to get going early today. I was on the Koonung Trail by 6.15am. Given it was dark and wet, and I had not been on this trail for some time. I decided to stick to semi-familiar territory. That was until I noticed the trail has been extended east along the new construction area. I followed it as far as I could and got to Park Rd. Here I turned around and headed towards the city again.

Obviously people are generally more sensible than me, as I only saw the same cyclist twice in the first hour. This is the trail I used to run when we lived in Box Hill. There is a massive difference in my running back then, so nothing seemed too familiar. I got to my turnaround about a km from Bulleen Rd at a water tap there.

Daylight had arrived for the return leg, but also the chill in the air. Clearly I had been running with the wind on the out leg. I was feeling a little fatigued at a few points, so I was determined to run the small hills strongly. I got back to Springvale Rd earlier than planned so I did a little exploring on the opposite side of the Freeway, discovering that it is gravel, so I think I 'll use this side in future.

Overall 2hr04m running, covering somewhere between 26.5-27.7km depending on how accurate my SDM is. Possibly a bit long and a bit fast, but once going I was feeling pretty comfortable.

If I can run tomorrow then it will be another 50km week.

2 Comments:

At 16/7/06 12:52 PM, Blogger Sekhmet said...

Sounds like you have the same turnaround as we do when running that trail. It's actually very slightly uphill all the way back to Springvale Rd and personally I find it to be a bit of a grind - I even used to notice it when cycling back in the days of also living in Box Hill.

I'll have to check out that extension the next time I'm running in the area. Well done for getting out in that rain - I was such a rain wuss yesterday! lol

 
At 17/7/06 11:27 AM, Blogger Stu Mac said...

Sounds like it was an enjoyable long run.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home