Friday, December 15, 2006

Been a while

Just in case there is someone that hasn’t given up on me……

 

Running is an interesting equation for me at the moment.

 

From the highest of highs in October when I ran a 3.03 marathon, to weeks gone by where I have only been on the road once for the week, and couldn’t make myself get out the door.

 

Sure there is lots going on at the moment, there are plenty of things taking up my time:

House work and reno’s

Kids

Busy period at work

Cricket

Looking for a new job

etc etc

 

With all that its been easy to just sit down rather than get up an out…..

 

Why? I suppose the motivation and sense of ‘need’ has reduced.

My weight is stable and lower than when I was 21 (9yrs ago) and supposedly fit.

When I do run I can still move along at a pace quicker than when I was racing 11 months ago, a training run can be done comfortably at 4m10s pace, and even hilly courses now are around the 4m30s mark, so if not at my sharpest, I haven’t lost a lot of speed.

The only thing I haven’t done is a long run over 80min, but with my shorter run fitness I still reckon 2hrs easy pace would not be a problem.

 

So what’s next? Well I still need to complete my goal of getting to 150 runs for the year. But that is looking like a close run (sorry) thing. With 17 days left I need 10 more.

I know I will get there, but it won’t be as easy as it could have been, at one point I was on target for 160-170.

 

I guess I need to then think about what the plan is for 2007, a new approach, a new focus.

In the back of my mind there is still the very small voice saying ‘What about 100k, or 100mile, or C2K (Coast to Kosi)

But also a sub 3hr marathon is very much on the agenda at some point, as is trying to get some shorter distances covered in times quicker than when I was a ‘wannabe’ runner in high school, 800m 2m10 and 400m in 54s. I’d love to run a 11.5s 100m but not sure that is ever likely.

 

So as you can see setting ‘event’ goals is not an easy decision either given they are at different ends of the scale.

 

For me, time to ponder until Dec 31, so I can be clear on what I want to achieve in 2007.

 

Last night I had an excellent run in the rain at 10pm. I took on a loop via Mooroolbark that I hadn’t run in a long time.

I set off fast and stayed there. It’s a hilly course taking in Manchester Rd, Hull Rd, Landscape Dr to Mooroolbark Rd, then Victoria Rd, St Andrews and home.

10km+ in 45m30s – I’ll check the distance, but could be 10.5km or more. Regardless, it felt good and strong. If anything the legs were stronger than my fitness (or it might have been my dinner…..), so very happy with the run. In the past it has taken close to 50min for this course.

 

Take care and enjoy Christmas!! (if I don’t get back beforehand)

4 Comments:

At 15/12/06 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have every confidence that no matter what you choose to do it will be achieved with your usual unconventional style, you'll love every minute of it and you'll keep us all guessing until the last minute.

Looking forward to that sub 3 hour ;-)

 
At 21/12/06 12:26 AM, Blogger Stu Mac said...

Clarkey, all the best for the festive season.

Hint regarding your 2007 goals, JOIN an AV club, you could offer so much to a club and of course you would get lots out of it too!!!


Stu

 
At 27/12/06 2:08 PM, Blogger Vicky said...

Takes more than not posting for a while for some of us to give up!

I've enjoyed seeing what you manage to pull out of the hat Clarkey and sure we will continue to do so in 2007.

Cheers, MAR.

 
At 1/1/07 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year and all the best for 2007.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home