Sunday, September 10, 2006

Running Update

Today was run number 111, it was almost run 110, since I was reluctant to write down the 2.5km burst I did yesterday. But in the end I figured, I ran, I got my heart rate up, it served a purpose – testing the toe, so in the book it goes….

 

Significant running info since my last post:

 

-          I did another session of 750m repeats around the reserve near home, less reps this time and slightly slower – due to racing the next day – but I still enjoyed the run. So I think I will make it one of my regular runs. The only problem is that it might be tough at night, so will have to wait till I get to run in daylight. 4 reps at 3min, with 2min floating recovery 450m.

-           

-          On Sept 3 I ran with the Richmond Harriers / Athletics Vic Half Marathon, probably the fastest field for a half marathon I am likely to ever run with. To put it into perspective, I would normally finish in the top 10-20% of most fun runs, but amongst the AV crowd my best run had me in the top 37%!! Those skinny whippets are quick!!.  My run was very pleasing, after a fast start – not my usual approach – I was able to hold 4min /k for almost 10km (40m20s), then I was able to hold 4:05 for 7km, then I slowed to just over 4m11s. But pleasing to have a final km of 3m55s to finish in 86m07s. This was a significant PB so a good day out.  With a 3km warm-up and more than 7km after the race, it gave me over 31km for the day.  The last 7km really felt like the end of a marathon, so it was a good ‘mental’ training run also.

-           

-          Tuesday afternoon, I dropped a heavy display plinth on my toe, it hurt a lot right away, but typically I figured it will be OK, so after work I ran for 36m and then did a session of cricket training. By the end of the session I was in a lot of pain. At home, it only got worse. Painkillers and ice did nothing, so I took the advice of my wife, to puncture the blood blister (except she recommended a doctor do it….), almost immediately the pain was reduced.  I have to say this is the first time when I have regretted going for a run. If I had just gone home, I might have avoided some trouble and might have saved my toenail (I’m sure it is going to drop off).

-           

-          Saturday morning, after hobbling with discomfort when wearing shoes since Tuesday, my itchy feet wanted a run. Since the barefoot pain was gone, I decided to try a short run to test it out. 2.5km at a fairly quick pace and the verdict was good, no pain while running, in fact I barely noticed it. And afterwards there was no post-run pain or increased swelling.

-           

-          Today – early start – on the Warby trail at Wandin, running by 5.55am. Headed towards Lilydale to meet some running buddies. Kept the pace up, and was feeling generally OK – not fresh but OK. Once past Mt Evelyn it was a lot better on the downhill section. I got to Lilydale with time to spare, so headed towards the Lillydale Lake for a lap. Since it was just part of the whole run, I did not take exact splits, but if I am right, then it was a fast lap, 2.5km in either 9 or 10min…it was meant to be easy, and although I was working, it was not on the limit. Anyway, back to the trail and met the gang. 59min running to this point. A short wait, then back up the trail towards Wandin. It was great to have the company for the last part of the run, we covered the 9-9.5km in about 50min,so an easy finish for me (they were continuing for another 27km). All up probably about 22-23km in 1h48m running. Toe – no problem.

 

 

So despite a small problem this week, I still got some km in, and apart from missing my planned 35km yesterday not too much of an issue as I’ll catch it up on Tuesday, I think I’ll head over to Dandy Creek for a nice flat long run.

1 Comments:

At 11/9/06 8:32 PM, Blogger Stu Mac said...

A great run at Burnley Clarkey, I reckon an AV Club would love to have you rolling around for them, maybe something for you to consider next winter!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home