Sunday, May 06, 2007

GTR 2007

My post at Ausrun pretty well sums things up, so I'll copy it here in case (unlikely) anybody reading this is not an Ausrunner.

But in addition, today probably served as a bit of a wake-up call, that if I want to run faster, then I can't coast along and hope it happens.

I still hold to the no excuses for todays race. But I've still got to ask myself, if the dramas of the last couple of weeks with knee niggle (no pain today) and cold, had any affect.
Could it lead to a body self preservation mechanism kicking in??

Even so, for this year which is already a third done....I've not planned for anything or set any goals or really done anything constructive as far as running goes. Which is crazy given, I know I am faster and possibly stronger than this time last year (in some ways), and wasting it.

So...here is the goal.

To run a 37:30 for 10km.
Seems crazy, since my unofficial pb is 40:16. But this was mid way in a half marathon during a marathon preparation.
My thinking is:
1. It can't be a given.
2. It can't be achievable within 6 months
3. It has to have some meaning, ie leading toward something else later on.

My justification:
1. 40:16 is well above my potential, ie I feel I could run a sub-40 10km race tomorrow.
2. I've never actually trained for 10km, so its untapped potential.
3. If I want a low 2:5X marathon in 2008, then a 37m 10km is part of the journey to get there.
4. I like to dream big.


Anyway, for the sake of the record, here is the post of todays race....a memorable one at least.

'tis with mixed feelings that I post my race report.

Today was my fastest effort at GTR, but my worst run of the event. It also included a rather unique experience that I doubt will ever be repeated.

confused....yeah me too ....

I fronted this race with some optimism, and felt no reason to doubt this. I was able to get some last minute tickets onto the race train for the family, so with the weather cooperating, it was to be a real family event. Particularly since my boys love a good train ride (in fact any train ride).

Similar to others I was planning a fast start, and got that. I didn't take splits, not sure why, but perhaps it was due to them being in reverse, so a good chance they would be useless from a comparison POV. On the first hill, I spied SS in front, so tailed him for a while, then was able to go by. Feeling pretty good, the effort levels in check. Saw TB perhaps 50m in front (couldn't miss him the bright yellow & black).

2nd hill, and things started to get nasty. At some point SS came by again, but was able to sit about 15m back at this point. Then it happened, either the wheels fell off or I pulled a heart muscle or some other undetermined cause. I stopped to walk. Quickly decided that it was going to be 30sec. Fortunately once going again the pace was good, so I was again back within sight of SS. But worse was to come.

I had lost all track of time, since all kinds of ugly thoughts were racing around, including the preparation for a PW result. I was taking splits at the crossings but not looking out of fear. Got to the 3rd crossing with no train in sight, a first for me. Somewhere between the first walk and the 4th crossing, I had stopped for a 30sec walk on 3 more occasions. At this point, all I was thinking was self preservation. As I believe my effort (heart rate) was getting maxed out.

Around this time before the 4th crossing then for some time afterwards, I was running with the train in sight - actually along side me. Even though this event had confirmed for me (at that time) that the train had beaten me again, it did keep me going along. Mainly because I knew almost for sure, that my wife and boys would be able to see me.

The train just beat me to the 4th crossing, but from here it was mostly downhill so I gave it my all. Again I found myself alongside the train. Then the train disappeared, I realised that the track veered away from the running trail. With this I put the foot down and headed for the finish. I got to the end, and knew I'd beaten the train, but crossed the line with no great joy. I stopped my watch and saw 55.40. Huh It was a pb by 40sec.
BTW - lucky that they scanned the barcode, as my time will be a lot different since I was ushered into the wrong alley with NO attendant, so no time ticket (and no prize raffle ticket ).

So, as I mentioned. My best time, but worst race.

Why? I'm not completely sure. Perhaps a comparison: This time last year I was within a couple of weeks of a marathon. This time last year I'd covered many more miles in training YTD.
So perhaps the question is which run was a soft run. Last year - given I beat that time today Today - because of the way I went about it.

Anyway, it is still a must run event. I'll forever remember the day when my family saw more than a 3 sec flash as I go by. They were with me during one of my passions for quite a while.

5 Comments:

At 7/5/07 11:14 AM, Blogger JH said...

I agree with your thoughts on your (very soft) 10k pb. My PB is fairly soft - I know I could beat it, in fact I think I did beat it during the RFTK this year. But I haven't had time to work on it yet.

A question: When you ran your 3hr-ish marathon last year, what was your time for the first half? Did you run it in 90 minutes or faster/slower? Did you set out to run it in that time?

GTR - I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. Beating the train IS an achievement in itself.

 
At 7/5/07 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Typical no nonsense Clarkey Post Mortem, I love your race reports.

Your 10Km Pb is even softer than mine LOL, I was going to suggest Zatopek at a goal race, but Clarkey 25 times around the track, I dunno :-)

Be happy to count your laps for you though.

 
At 7/5/07 8:43 PM, Blogger Andrew(ajh) said...

Congrats on a great GTR 2007, beating the train is a great accomplishment! The goal setting process is a difficult one, but just doing it (setting a goal and writing it down) puts you ahead of most of the population.

 
At 7/5/07 10:56 PM, Blogger Clarkey said...

JH - not sure where to post reply, so here and also on your blog...
First half in approx 89:XX trailling the 3hr pacer.
Had no plan that day, except the last minute one of go for a 3hr race and see how long I could hold on....

 
At 8/5/07 10:28 PM, Blogger Stu Mac said...

37:30 = I will see you at the Skins Sandown Classic!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home