Tuesday, April 17, 2007

17th April - Did you know....

....that I get very bored running on my own, so if I don't do something to keep me occupied it drives me nuts. Which is probably why I do work harder or do crazy type things in training, and rarely get through an entire run at an easy pace when solo. Groups runs are really good for me, but they have been few and far between.

Another night run, but not as late, out the door at 8.10pm. The plan (ha, like I ever have a plan), was to just cruise around for 40odd mins on as flat a course as I could find in Chirnside, after the hard hill run on Sunday night it was best to dial it down. Well the easy cruise lasted about 9min, when on the second lap (reverse direction) of the flat loop I noticed that without trying I was into a quickish tempo and already looking for the interesting part of the run.

So rather than fight off boredom, I headed over to our little 650m circle road, its a good place for reps, not quite flat but probably equal gentle up down. Arrived at the 20min mark, and figured I would try a 3 lap Kenyan (ie faster and faster reps). So without stopping I hit the following splits.

Lap 1 - 2m39s (4m05s/km)
Lap 2 - 2m26s (3m45s/km)
Lap 3 - 2m19s (3m34s/km)

Overall: 1.95km @ 3m48s/km average

Pretty happy with the pace and the effort, only required to really concentrate in the last 150m of the final rep.

Then in keeping with the 'hills after speed' that worked so well last time (not), I went to my 1km hill trial......I quickly knew the legs were tired and heavy, so my last effort of 4m22s was not under threat, so I just kept moving with effort to see what a 'tired' rep would be. I was pleasantly surprised that the clock stopped at 4m35s. A good sign for GTR, if I can keep all my uphill splits in the 4m30-4m40s then it could be a good day for me.

Very slow and gentle run home (slightly downhill) to stop at 40m09s.....a perfectly timed run :)

1 Comments:

At 19/4/07 9:59 PM, Blogger Stu Mac said...

Well Clarkey, maybe its time to get the ocassional Fri run morning run happening again with me, you & Jarrod, maybe even PJ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home