Wednesday, April 25, 2007

25th April - Running Scared

Before I begin, it is worth noting that I am watching the Cricket World Cup Semi-final. Australia is bowling, and after 5.3 overs Sth Africa are 2-12. I'll update any key events if they occur while I'm posting, kind of like a live time capsule.

After the weekends back to back runs, there was a little pain on the outside of my left knee. Immediately recognised the start of the dreaded ITB inflamation. So got onto the stretching and self massage and anti-inflams.
**Aust just missed a run-out chance - batsman was miles out**
Since then I have had a slight tenderness but not pain as such. I've delayed the next run to allow maximum rest and settle down period.
Tonight was the crunch moment, so I did everything I normally do before a run - not.... I was literally running scared, not sure what I would discover when I started to move along. It was a very tentative start, with every little thing seeming like the pending doom that injury breeds.

But after a while it all seemed to be going nicely, no pain or discomfort. Even the first serious hill was trouble free.

Tonights course was a hybrid of my local hilly course, since I was running without a watch, it was all about covering ground without problem. Rather than the 3 large hills tonight I added 2 more for 5 hills.
**Tait just removed the dangerous deVilliers, big nick to Gilchrist. 3-26**
Probably not an ideal choice for a testing run, but be assured if things weren't right I'd have gone home....

Really enjoyed the run, and will probably run the course again. Overall g-maps has it at about 13.5km and the clock check showed 65min, so given the 2min rest and stretch at about halfway it was not a bad run given the no effort mode I was in.

Post run, I did a good stretch. The slight soreness in the knee has returned, but given no pain during running I believe that I've caught the ITB problem early enough...
**McGrath takes his 2nd wicket to go to the top of the wicket takers list in a single World Cup, another catch to Gilchrist, Prince out for a duck. South Africa in big trouble at 4-27.
Next ball - Oh Ah McGrath is on a hattrick. Boucher gone. Hayden an easy catch in slips. 5-27. In case you weren't sure, no running test till the next ball is bowled.....
A 'courageous' leave (according to Flemming) by Kemp. McGrath you champion!!(even though no hattrick)**

....so just need to manage the inflamation - I hope.
As everyone knows my running schedule is not hectic so plenty of rest and recovery time.

**Tait - robbed of a wicket - Bucknor missed an inside edge from Gibbs, should have been 6 down and game over, but now we wait to see if it was a costly blunder from the umpire**

Still a little nervous, but equally hopeful of no real interruption to my Puffing Billy prep.

**South Africa 5-41 after 12.2 overs, in need of a miracle or an Australian implosion**



Shoes: Zoom Elite (nearing retirement)

2 Comments:

At 26/4/07 4:20 PM, Blogger JH said...

I know what you mean - you get so focussed on avoiding a flair-up that everything seems like the start of an injury.

Good to hear it went okay, and Australia won, I believe.

TB is talking tentatively about a run along the Warby trail this Sunday am. A longish run (low 30ks).... I'd suggest you come, but it may not be to your taste - we'd probably stick to the trail itself.

 
At 27/4/07 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for that, saves me reading the report in the paper :-)

Looking forward to watching the final on Saturday night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home