Monday, October 10, 2005

Pol Com ?? (I've lost count...)

An interesting article about the compulsory voting in Australia.
While I have little or no respect for the writer, the topic raised some questions.

What if voting was not compulsory? We are the only western nation (according to the article) that has compulsory voting.

Personally, I have often submitted and invalid vote due to not agreeing with any of the candidates and rather than eventually vote for a major party through preferences (another topic), I voted not for anyone. But what if the choice was there, has the political climate in our country put such a distance between MP's and Joe Aussie that many would not bother.

Perhaps it would force our elected members to actually work harder to earn a vote.
I have not pondered this theory for long enough to have a firm opinion, but do know that there needs to be some changes made before I feel that our elected leaders at all levels are truly accountable to the tax payer and not just themselves.

In the current climate, if I had the choice, I would not vote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home