Friday, August 18, 2006

'TWAS GOOD

I have not posted for a little while, but that is in part due to laziness and in part due to lack of actual running.

If my memory is any good (since I am remote posting) my last post was about my 29.99km run….

 

Since then I have run a handful of times so I will try and remember the key facts or notables:

 

Wed – 8km Lillydale Lake, very well moonlit night, 3 laps, last lap 2.5km at 4min/k

Sat – 28km approx. 36min solo, hilly 20min out, 16min back. Then a group run for 20km on Yarra Trail, 1hr48m, mixed surfaces, a little up and down, great weather once the sun was up. First long run in the Vomero’s – happy so far.

Wed – 15km, from home to Lillydale Lake 4km, loopy loops in lake area 7.3km, ave pace for first 11km 4m22s. Home leg included a tough uphill to get home. Overall pace once home again. 4m23s – very happy. First run in new Perseus, firmer ride but seemed ok on both gravel and hard surfaces, a slightly better fit than the Pegasus.

 

Now to todays run. A late start and boys not feeling 100% meant that I ran at 11am, I can’t remember the last time I was beginning a run at that time.

I decided to head down to Kimberley Reserve for some laps (1.1km circuit), once on the road it was pretty windy, so slightly cooler than expected. A nice gentle downhill roll to warm-up and get to the reserve. 2.4km.

In my mind I was thinking I would run 3 sides of the loop at pace, then recover on the 4th side. Initially planned on 5 loops, but was happy to wait and see.

As I had not done this before I was concerned over the pace, so the first rep was just to establish the base time. 2m35s for approx 750m, then a walk /jog recovery back to start 2m53s, so a longer recovery than planned. I was feeling pretty good on the 2nd & 3rd reps, kept the pace consistent, and the recovery was more jog and less walk. 4th OK, 5th too slow, so I went for a 6th rep, quickest by 10sec!!.

 

Splits: 2.35 / 2.38 / 2.39 / 2.36 / 2.40 / 2.25, recoveries around 2m20s

 

Then a slow trawl home – uphill – felt bad but must have been ok, since it was the same pace as the downhill warm-up.

Overall 12km in 54min.

 

Given this was my first attempt at this type of workout, from a volume of reps POV, I was very pleased with the results. I believe I could have completed at least 2 or 3 more without getting too far away from 2m40s.

 

Long run tomorrow – hopefully somewhere near 3hrs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home