Sunday, July 15, 2007

15th July - 25km, 2hr, Perseus

Lucky I didn't see Stu's comment until after this mornings run, it might have been enough to give me an excuse not to run.....

By late last night the pain in the neck had settled nicely. So I dutifully set the alarm for 5.50am, which would mean a long run starting in the dark, but also meant I could be home by 9am.

Up and out, and the pains and niggles did not feature....I must have still been asleep.

Not keen on running any hills I went to the Koonung Trail along the Eastern Fwy. I've plotted the course here http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/australia/mitcham/599590968 and if you check the profile you will see I was mistaken.... It was not a hilly course, but it was all down and then all up.....gently but noticeable on the way home.

Early in the run I was not enjoying the cold, or the dark or the tightness in the shins.
Warmed up better once it was light. Then found a nice rhythm to the turn around, after approx 1hr??? Only unsure due to the battery in SDM going flat along the way. So even the overall time is an educated guess based on my memory for the departure time.

No pain in the problem areas of my back and neck. I little tight in the glutes, but nothing to cause struggle. One leg got a little sore near the groin, but I'm sure its not anything that will hang around.

Given the uphill return, I'm guessing its a double negative split. Slightly less time, but with uphill creating greater effort, so a double negative....... if that is legitimate.

Also worth noting the new 'equipment' I saw along the way. It seems the council has installed gym like machines in 2 or 3 groups, so creating an outdoor exercise area to simulate the indoor commercial venues. They looked generally vandal proof and sturdy. If I lived closer I might be tempted to take advantage of these machines. Great to see something new, that genuinely promotes some exercise and activity.

More than 12hrs later, I'm feeling good about the run.
This week, I'll just be aiming to get out every second day.

4 Comments:

At 16/7/07 12:03 PM, Blogger JH said...

oh, an actual pain in the neck. I thought.... oh never mind.

Do you mean the exercise things near the Balwyn part of the track? They've been there at least since last summer.

I was going to do the SC 30k at Princess Park yesterday, but couldn't face 6 laps of the place. I did the Capital City trail instead. You should try it one day for a long run:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/australia/melbourne/601632618

 
At 16/7/07 8:20 PM, Blogger Andrew(ajh) said...

I haven't heard of anything like that before (the outside exercise equipment I mean) - sounds interesting. As you say anything that promotes a bit of exercise has to be a good thing.

 
At 16/7/07 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad that you are feeling more your old self.

I have done so many runs along that trail, just before I got injured I had started running up there from home. I love the new gym equipment and when I am allowed to run on paved paths again I am thinking of doing a cross training/running program once a week, just for a change.

Hope that back has cleared up for the time being.

 
At 16/7/07 9:57 PM, Blogger Stu Mac said...

great to hear that you have pulled up well Clarkey! I hope all turns out well and I think its time you considered running another AV race as an invite!!

See you soon, if not at an AV race we will have to organise a Friday run (not this week), maybe Fri week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home