Thursday, August 16, 2007

15th August, 7.75km, Perseus

A couple of days feeling unsure about my health was enough excuse to stay still..... read lazy.

Out the door in the dark night for a local hilly route.

I decided very early that I would just roll around without pain or effort. Then the normal - fly by the soles of my shoes - mentaility took over.

This course has 4 hill climbs which are mentally and physically tough. So I figured I would attack the hills - it makes them go by quicker right...right....greeaat idea..... In between it was a very casual jog/ trot.

First hill is steep so I moved quicker and quicker until just near the top I worked into a sprint which carried on about 70m past the crest. Awesome feeling. Shortly afterwards I realised that is perhaps the best feeling you can get in a training run. Accelerating up a hill and smashing it over the top!!

Second hill is longer so the plan was to hold a steady pace and increase speed if possible but do not drop speed. This one was good too, not the same over the top pace, but still strong all the way.

Third hill comes quickly after the 2nd, so not much rest. This one is in 2 stages, long and steady then kicks into a steep finish. Initially I was going to work the first stage only but decided not crack this one too and push right to the top. Gut busting, but held or lifted speed to the top. Legs jelly, walk rest.

Fourth hill, steep. Got into a high cadence rhythm and built the pace again to a smashing sprint over the top and extended out for 70-80m.

Good steady pace to get home. Pretty well exhausted at the end. So much for a gentle no effort trot.....



Also pleased to be confirmed as a 3hr30min pacer for MM2007. Very happy to have a part to play in the big day in October.
I guess that means 2 things: I'd better get myself right to be on my legs for that long & I'd better get into a good 5min/k rhythm form.

Looking forward to a marathon without the pain, and also with even splits the whole way!!

3 Comments:

At 17/8/07 3:48 PM, Blogger Stu Mac said...

Congrats on the Pace Leader job, 3h 30m. It will be interesting to hear your experience leading a group for that long, will they talk to you or will they be working to stay there... Good luck, I'm sure your pacing will be excellent for the marathon.

 
At 17/8/07 3:50 PM, Blogger JH said...

Sounds like a good, satisfying, run.

Congratulations on the pace leading stuff. I guess if I do enter (not 100% sure yet) I'll have to stick somewhere ahead of you.

Quite jinxing me with this crazy 2:5xxx talk!!!!

 
At 19/8/07 12:40 AM, Blogger jojo said...

sounds like a good run! i like hills :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home