Monday, August 27, 2007

26th August, 32km, 2hr35m, Span

It's a bit sad when a comment about your long run gets onto your own blog before the details are relayed.....

It was great to get out for a long run with J yesterday.
After the events of the previous day including all the wrong foods and not enough sleep, if I hadn't booked a 'buddy' there is no doubt I would have hit snooze and rolled over many times....

I woke feeling less than ideal, so avoided food and just took some fluid on board.
So it was with a sense of nervousness that I set of in the just before dawn light. Not because it was dark, but because I was about to tackle 30km+ with J who is in great form and currently running far better than myself.

Once moving, the discussion was a great distraction and even though the pace was quite a bit quicker than any other runs of this duration this year it was comfortable most of the way. Without a watch it was hard to tell, but perhaps around the 2hr mark, my lack of breakfast was beginning to cost me.

J was very good to hang with me, as I'm sure he was capable of going quicker. Once in Croydon again he went ahead, I first thought that the wheels would fall off and I'd drag my sorry butt to the end, but I found a bit of resolve so I put it in my pocket and lifted my tempo. Finishing stronger than I thought I would - a good sign the longer runs are now paying off.

It is possibly the last time I'll get to test myself at a pace close to the goal pace for race day for a duration over 2hrs, since most long runs now will be with the Saturday morning groups.

My plan now is to build my mid week running to longer and faster running. I'd like to ensure than only the long run is slower than 5min/ks.


Think of me this week as I struggle through all the left over 5yo party food......

1 Comments:

At 28/8/07 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So are the guys at work paying out on you for taking fairy bread to work this week?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home