Sunday, May 27, 2007

25th May - Walk then Stairs

My lovely wife raised the idea of going for a walk early in the morning while Nanna looked after the boys, so we did....

Went in the opposite direction to the previous morning, set off at a decent clip, but the early string of down stairs meant the thought of the upstairs return was daunting.

Eventually turned around after 35min and knowing we were over time we hit the stairs hard and the heart rate and legs got going. Mrs C even got up to a jog for a little while.

Back to the 3 Sisters after about 65min.

Here I took a leave pass and went out on my own for another 30min.
I'd seen the signs for the Giant Stairway the day before and I could not resist, particularly since I had some childhood recollection from my last visit some 16years ago.

Hit the top of the stairs and....whoa...take it easy or it will be a quick trip down. Very very steep.
So a mixture of careful steps and tight grip on the rails. Got down to the bottom and then jogged along the trail for a bit to kill time.

On the return trip I had some crazy idea to see if I could go close to matching my downward speed. Well....that lasted about 30sec. The sheer volume and gradient of these stairs had me in all sorts of trouble and reduced to laboured steps unendingly upward.

G&D to keep moving, and I did better than I'd hoped early on - but definitely no speed just climb climb climb. The looks on the faces of those coming down were priceless. I'm not sure if it was "This guy is crazy" or "What am I doing - if he looks like that on the way back, what will I be like?"

Regardless - what a workout - 30 min of heart pounding, lung busting, leg melting effort - loved it. It was kind of like the express workout for the time poor.

I found out later there is approx 1000 steps.....but not sure that it is anything like the 1000 steps we know in Vic (which I am yet to visit so could be wrong) http://www.infobluemountains.net.au/history/giant.htm



Shoes: Pegasus TC


BTW - we had a very good meeting with our brand providers in Sydney. Nothing fixed yet, but a clearer idea of what we can do to get things going.

2 Comments:

At 28/5/07 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh* I love the Blue Mountains, you have given me the urge to get back there now.

Sounds like you are having a lovely trip.

 
At 31/5/07 8:23 PM, Blogger Andrew(ajh) said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful trip and those steps sound like absolute killers - I can understand the irresistable drive to run up them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home