Thursday, August 30, 2007

30th August, 16km, Vomero

Up early, but later than planned, on the road at 6.30am.

Decided on the home to Mt Evelyn course, with a variation plus reversed direction.
This is perhaps the 5th or 6th time I've run this course or similar and it is becoming a bit of a favourite if I want to run more than 12-13km.

I discovered today a new very long hill..... I knew that from the Lilydale end of the Warby trail to Mt Evelyn was a relentless uphill gradient, but of course when you start from the rail crossing near Lilydale station and follow the Maroondah Hwy its uphill all the way!! over 5km without a restful flat bit.

This morning was nice, particularly when on the Warby Trail I came upon another runner going in my direction and about my pace, so I slowed slightly and had a chat for a couple of km. A nice guy just getting into running, doing about 20min a day, slowly building up. He could not believe I was planning on 42km in 6 weeks - its all perspective I suppose. His friends probably can't believe he runs for 20mins!!

With the footpod I was able to take a couple of splits, but when I got to the end and realised the distance and the time overall I didn't worry about the splits. 16km in 73min is good enough for me.

Now I'm feeling very good about having little trouble with the time and pace for the 3hr30min job I have. In some ways I'm glad I've left my preparation a bit late so it means that no matter what I do I would not be in PB shape so the temptation is not there or the thoughts of 'what if'.

BTW - I've been saving most of my runs onto maymyrun so those who think they might enjoy a trot around the undulating surrounds of Chirnside can feel free to follow the trail less travelled....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home