Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bogong to Hotham 2009 - race report

My race:



B2H as an event started for me last year when I was a sweeper. It was my way of sizing it up before actually running it. In reality I probably wasn't ready to 'race' last year and it may have broken me had I tried.



My lead up training was less than ideal and I ran out of weeks to get enough long runs into the system, I think I mis-calculated somewhere and also took my re-building a little bit slower than originally planned. So with only 4 runs over 30km since June and the longest being 40km in 3hr30min I feared I was a bit undercooked (not that I said that out loud anywhere).



Using past results as a guide I had set myself the goal of going around 9hrs, but dared to dream that I might give 8hr30m a nudge if things went to plan. Not quite sure where the logic of training vs goal separated, but I think optimism from some good running pre-injury.....



The morning of the run, we woke to wet ground and heavy skies. As daylight increased we could see that Mt Bogong summit was cloaked in a beanie of white. It was already shaping up as an interesting day. We were told the report from the top was 'cold and windy'.



The trouble with climbing Bogong is that there is no way to judge your pace. The best measure is your level of percieved effort. I kept in touch with some others who I guessed would be around my pace and was surprised to be keeping up with others who should (in theory) have disappeared. Most of the climb was wet and the views not as pleasant as last year. I was pleased to be feeling strong the whole way up just keeping a constant rythm forwards. Above the treeline the cloud was all consuming, all we could see was the path in front. Normally there is a shortcut to the summit - head right when you see the cairn. What cairn?? I flicked to the altimeter screen on my Garmin, 1953m - close enough. Off the trail in search of the summit. Quickly found the path again passed one of my TW team mates (Bryan) coming down. Touched the cairn. 1hr31m. Quicker than planned by about 4 to 9min. Happy and feeling in control. (8.6km @ 10m38s/km, elevation gain 1400m)



On the path downwards, visibility was OK but could not tell direction so just followed the path. I was quickly caught back up by my other TW team mate (Chris) who I had unexpectedly passed on the way up. He went by and I slotted in behind him. This section is easy as long as you keep your footing. Plenty of rocks etc to trip you up in the narrow and deep single track. (Why can't bushwalkers walk with their feet shoulder width apart??) Straight through the next check point at Cleve Cole hut in approx 20min. Running very freely now, we caught back up to Bryan. Team Muttley was in business!!! (12.5km, section 3.9km @ 5m10s, elevation down mostly)



Past Cleve Cole it is more downs but a few ups. Chris moved away as Bryan & I got in some fluids etc in prep for the big downhill. T-spur. I moved away from Bryan and really got stuck into the downhill, just letting it flow. I eventually caught back up to Chris and again followed him down to the river. The slower runners (from earlier starts) had been great in allowing us to keep moving by getting off the path - very appreciated. Once at the river I quickly noticed the log I used to cross last year was gone, so straight in. Chris took it literally and went ALL IN. I was going to find out if really wet shoes was going to be a problem. Cleve Cole to Big River 37min, 2h30min into the race. (18.6km section 6.1km @ 6m01s/k, elev down very steep)



I knew that climbing Duane Spur was going to be a grind, but had forgotten exactly how much of a grind. Litterally just step / step / step. Couldn't even get a spingy walk going. Up till this point we had regularly passed several runners from the earlier starts, on this climb it seemed to take forever to catch and pass anyone. Unfortunately in the trill of hitting the river I had forgotten to top up my handheld bottle and my camelbak was empty.....oh dear. Lots of climbing and barely 200m of fluids. I had to carefully ration myself to allow small swigs right to the top. Not sure which was the greater contributor to the onset of cramp - either the lack of training / the hard and fast downhill / the lack of fluid, but when it hit it grabbed hard and mercilessly, I was down to a brittle walk. This further sapped my motivation as both TW guys moved well ahead and another runner from the 6.15 start passed me. Finally back onto more level ground and Ropers Hut, time to re-group get fluids and keep moving. (23.2km section 4.5km @ 13m28s/k elev gain gain gain)



From Ropers to Warby Corner was supposed to be a time to get back into a rythm of running. WRONG, more walk / shuffle / jog. I had also forgotten that this was a bit uphill too.....(26.2km 3km @ 7m33s, elev uphill mostly)



Finally out of Warby Corner (which was also blanketed in cloud) I found a way to run again. This section is generally a nice wide 4WD type track with only gentle undulations. Got some food and fluids in and generally started to feel more positive and a whole lot less like quitting. The last part of this section is a flat aqueduct and I spied a 6.15 runner ahead so began to use them as a rabbit to chase - I needed that. (35km section 8.9km @ 5m28s/k elev gently down then flat).



This had me at 'halfway' 35km in 4h40m. A nice feeling to be there in that time given the terrible hopelessness I'd felt not too long ago. It also meant that I had acheived the cut-off point under the original original time of 5hrs (rather than the current 5h30m or 11:45am) My family met me here and helped with the re-stocking and encouragment. Left at 4h46m. At this point any thoughts of a specific finishing time had been put aside, I was just going to keep myself moving forwards.



More aqueduct running which should have been good, but I was too distracted by my handheld bottle. I was sick of holding it and could not find a way to hang it or carry it on either my camelback or waist belt..... the result was just wasted time and effort..... A couple more runners ahead to keep me moving in the right direction. Omeo Rd crossing was the introduction to the high plains running. I was expecting my family to come here too, but I didn't hear the comment made earlier that they wouldn't come over to this point, so I wasted several minutes hanging around and looking down the road thinking they might just come round the corner shortly. I should have just kept running!! (40.7km section 5.65km @ 6m25s/k , mostly flat one decent hill to finish)



From here the surface was a cruel mix of narrow single track and tussocks and cow / horse trodden ground. It meant you either ran with legs up and zig zagging or you just walked. I alternated as best I could. On reflection I think I lost interest in the race in this area. I wasn't catching the slower runners and wasn't really giving it 100%. Along here there was a pack of horse riders and also a herd (?) of brumbies, but in my down state it didn't really register. Eventually I caught a runner who I'd run some of Maroondah Dam with last year, so stopped and walked with them for a short while, just chatting and killing time (avoiding the race.....). I was told I should keep moving, so I did. After this I found a bit of mojo and was soon at the next checkpoint Pole 333. I grabbed a banana and got going again. (49.1km section 8.4km @ 7m30s, mostly flat small undulations)



The poles count down so from 333 I was looking for 267. When struggling I would run a few poles then walk one. From 267 there was the final big downhill. Despite the cramp being in the background almost the whole way since Duane Spur, i was feeling OK on the downhill sections here. Without pushing it I was able to gain some good momentum. Unlike T-spur the path to Cobungra River was rocky and loose, even if feeling great it could be quite a treacherous descent if you aren't careful. Passing another couple of runners here was nice, one benefit of taking the late start. Down to the river, across the bridge, past the checkpoint & then up again.... (54.4km and 7hr05m, section 5.2km @ 7m24s/k, flat then down steeply)



Swindlers Spur - a section I've often heard mentioned with plenty of unsavoury words. I knew it would be steep and it would seem endless. So head down, swinging the arms and singing kids songs repeatedly in my head (not out loud) to keep a moving beat going. Don't stop - keep moving one step at a time. Overall I was quite pleased with the way I went up Swindlers, I don't think it was fast but it was OK. It did catch me out a bit once near the top as it kicked up a couple of times after seeming to flatten out. I had also got my distances mixed up and expected the next checkpoint sooner than it arrived. Derrick Hut is the final CP and a welcome sight. I quickly downed a full orange and moved on with purpose. (58.2km and 7hr52m, section 3.8km @ 12m26s/k - steep uphill!!)



Now within sight of the finish (metaphorically), my mind shifted to finish times. A quick calculation said that 8h30m might be possible but I had to work fairly hard for it. Unfortunately I didn't really know the terrain but figured it I could do 8m/k I would get close. Fast walk the ups & trot if possible, then run as hard as my legs would allow on any flat or down. Its funny how the end of a race brings renewed energy that was absent only minutes earlier..... Getting close to the finish I could see the bus that marked the carpark, then I spied Bryan who was only walking. I ran up to him and told him I wouldn't pass and if we ran to the end we would both go under 8h30m, he tried for a few hundred metres and then said he had nothing left and I should go on. I did run on and touched the summit stones in 8h29m51s. Bryan arrived only 40sec later to have an 8h30m time. (63.2km, section 5.0km @ 7m26s/k, generally uphill) My Garmin measured 63.2km, which is not too bad given the terrain etc. Close enough to the advertised 64km.




How do I feel about this race? Its a phenomenal challenge, it doesn't allow you to relax, you must fight for every step of progress. You know you have put in a days work by the time you get to the finish. The location and scenery and surface is always changing. If we had more time to look around its a spectacular place for a run.



My own performance was very satisfying. Before the race I told Chris that 8h30m would be a dream time and 9hr would be a good result. But after the race I feel somehow not quite ready to pat myself on the back. I achieved the time I thought would be a stretch, but given how I struggled and then wasted time and lost focus etc I know there is a better days racing in me on this course.



Given my training in recent months I am happy with the result & it shows that the months of running before my injury and the long race days early in 2008 set me up for this result also.


The organisors and volunteers, some either spent days dragging in water before the event or walked hours to get to their checkpoint, were all excellent and a credit to themselves and the race and their radio club.



All being well I will be back in 2010 for the 25th running of this event. Will you??

4 Comments:

At 14/1/09 10:05 AM, Blogger Andrew(ajh) said...

Clarkey, well done, what a great effort. Honestly, to me it almost seems superhuman the things like this and TW. You're a legend!

And, in answer to you very last question, ummm, no!

 
At 15/1/09 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny sometimes that when you do acheive your goal there is that nagging feeling that deep down you were hoping for better?! Still, I think you did damn well and showed your usual guts and determination, great work.

As for the question, a definite possibility, I am thinking of 6 foot track next year instead of TW but am not prepared to run a marathon to qualify so will look at the 33km option as my qualifying run. You heard it here first ;-)

 
At 15/1/09 11:44 PM, Blogger Stu Mac said...

No....

Great post and of course well done mate!

 
At 27/1/09 12:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

As usual an amazing report from you Clarkey. You continue to be an incredible inspiration. Well done.....and NO I wont be going next year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home