Thursday, November 01, 2007

161 days

Firstly it is clear that JH has not been paying attention. He has me confused with someone who has a plan beyond the next day (with specifics anyway). There is usually some vague idea of what should happen, then I go with my own ideas.....



In this instance - since it has been asked - the following aspects have been considered important.



1. Running lots more than I have been (not hard to tick this box)

2. Running lots of long hills.

3. Practicing walking up long hills. (I would have used power walking but that would be a poor description of what I've done so far)

4. Running some long and slow days. Slow as in 6min/k+. Long as in 50km+ at least 4 times (possibly as much as 70km)

5. Know the course. Need to know where we can 'attack', and when to just hang on. Particularly the stages where elevation changes dramatically or when navigation may prove tricky.

6. Practice running and eating real food. (Probably linked to 4.)

7. Practice running with some form of pack, incl. gear & fluid & food.

8. Hope like hell, my 'can do' mentality will replace the experience my team mates have.



Other than that, I'll be reading / watching / learning from those around me who know so much more about these things than me.....







Mt Oberon: 560m

Yeah - great idea. Just get up and run to the top of the nearest highest peak.....yep insanity is well and truly a permanent resident.



A nice gentle flat start, then up.....for 6km. No bits that go flat or down at all. I lasted more than 2.5km before I took a walk break. This got me to the carpark. This is where all the people (including bus of school kids) were happily sitting and relaxing.... From here the walking trail starts - the sign said 3.4km to the summit. 205 measured it as 3.2km.

On the trail it was a walk / run mixture, not sure on the % split, but I know I ran one section of 500m. Then also ran strongly the last section before the rock climb to the summit.



Having 205 was handy so I could keep an eye on distance covered but also average speed. I managed to keep the trail section pace at just over 7min/k. Given walking is over 8min/k I can live with that for now.



I was surprised that often my legs felt better running than walking, but the fitness did not allow me to run the full distance.



Getting to the top was awesome. A cool breeze. 360 degree views, looking down over the camp where I started some 48min previously.



Then the down hill. Figured there was no point hanging around and might as well test the quads to see what they were made of. Hit sub 4min k's all the way down the trail. The school kids struggling up the hill were a little amused - got some high 5's, and one 'Did you run all the way up too?'. 3.1km in approx 12min. Once back on the bitumen I let the brakes right off. This section was done at closer to 3m35s pace. Quite nice to move that fast without feeling out of breath and almost effortless. I got to the bottom and my legs felt great, no rubber legs after about 22min downhill.



All up just short of 15km. 48min up, 30min back!!

I've been madly trying to get an elevation link for you in mapmyrun but with no luck. So this will have to do....




85km in 9 days, so unlike me....

2 Comments:

At 2/11/07 11:57 AM, Blogger JH said...

Sorry about that, I should have known you were too much of a maverick-type to actually have a training plan....

70km training runs sound a bit scary. That'd pretty much wipe out an entire day.

Let me know if you want some company on the hill runs, but I'll give the long slow ones a miss.

 
At 7/11/07 11:22 PM, Blogger jojo said...

a training plan! im only just starting to reaise what that is!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home