Sunday, October 28, 2007

165 days

Funny weekend, but good.

Planned a longish run on Saturday morning, but due to a sore back (nasty spasm on Friday morning). Which was disappointing, as I was wide awake and ready to go.....

So Saturday was spent around the home, then the afternoon watching cricket. The closest I got to actually playing was padded up ready to go in next. But the boys got the runs required and then didn't get out.

Figured a run Saturday night would work OK. That would act as a switch in sessions.
It started as a plan for about 12km easy, but with a deadline to get home and discovering I was too far from home, it turned into 14km in 66min. A quick run up Manchester Rd was not what I really wanted, but happy enough.

Less than 10hrs later I was parked at Yarra Junction about to explore the last stage of the TW course. It was nice to start at YJ since I had never run towards Warburton before. Of course, the Warby trail continues to be wide, smooth and flat.

Past Millgrove and the fun only builds up.... Off the Warby Trail and its a very steep and narrow climb - walked a whole lot. Up in the fire trails you can see down to where you were only a short time previously at the river level. More ups and downs made for a slow part of my run. But I was pleased to see that part of the course. Unless we have some sort of magical day in April we will be in this part in darkness just to add to the fun!!

Once at the football ground I made my way back towards the Warby Trail again. With the middle section being slow I had to shorten the planned 24-25km run and only got to 21km before I had to head back to the car.

To put 2 runs together so close, 1 fast(ish) 1 tough(ish) and no sign of soreness or problems with either my shins or muscles etc was great. Also the last parts of my runs are generally strong so my fitness is in check. Now I need to build the qty of sessions and get some more tough hills in there.

2 Comments:

At 29/10/07 9:37 AM, Blogger JH said...

Keep posting Clarkey. I'm interested to hear how you approach training for something like this.

Are you going to run a marathon as training? How fast are the long runs?
Are you going to run the full 100k? Parts of it? How fast?

Details, details, give me details...

 
At 29/10/07 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only 134 days to go!

Thanks for the Ausrun post regarding Sunday's sortie, good stuff to know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home