Saturday, October 20, 2007

Catch-up time

Well its been a while.

Since the last post, I've run the MM07 - 3.30.18 gun, 3.29.28 net.
I won't go into any more detail than already posted around the various public forums.
But - I will add a few points.

Pacing is very fun - but also very stressful and tiring. You spend so much time being aware of everything around you - runners / km markers / slow runners / drink stations / runners / struggling runners / time / distance to go / splits / your own drinks & sugar / your own legs and motivation / trouble on the course / decisions......you get the idea.

Before the race the Wise Old Miler - Tim said that it was inevitable that we would have one runner trying to monopolise our time.... it definitely happened. It goes without saying that this is not your normal runner type aware of people around them and generally happy to just be part of the event. They look odd / run odd / have odd advice / odd ideas and a complete lack of any perceptive intuition. Lucky for me he adopted my pace buddy Charles..... but we soon lost him somewhere.....its not mean to push someone in the lake is it???

For me I was very pleased that I could run a 3.30 while still taking care of all the above. It in some wierd way proves (to me anyway) that my marathons last year were not flukes. My training this time around was not bad but certainly not in line with - even for me - normal preparation. A whole lot more km at a slower pace. But - I did complete more 30km+ runs that either prep last year, so that was a good thing. Sickness threw me about - having training group responsibility meant at least 1 run that I did that if training for me I would have passed on. This I believe contributed to my niggle - which did not raised its ugly head in the race (or after).

Post marathon - things have been OK. Not a huge amount of running.
Cricket is back on- i felt worse after 1 game of cricket than I did after a marathon --- unused muscles and all that....
I was worried when my shins were very touchy last week, but I am now convinced it was due to cricket and not the running.
Not much distance post marathon. My first run back was a hard paced 7.5km in the hills near home - a nice recovery run. But mainly to prove to myself that the marathon was really just a long tough training run.
This weekend were the first serious sessions - 13.3km in 67-68min (battery flat) on Friday, then 16.7km in 78min this morning again a course with hills but also some cross country type running. Followed by cricket this arvo - bowled 14 or 15 overs. Ankle sore / big toe sore / calves sore / back tight -- its a tough game for those who don't train.....a bit like running.


Oxfam Trailwalker - a thought planted in May this year by CR Rohan, followed up after the marathon has lead to us entering a team. We are team #485 Team Muttley. The discussion was around building a team capable of Top 10, then see what happens on the day. We have the fishing line out with several runners all about 3hr marathoners, plus plenty of Ultra experience (except me).
It all happened much too quick by necessity to ensure we could register. I had no idea it filled up so fast....

Anyway - between now and then, I'll be working on my Ultra credentials - if not in racing, then certainly in training. Looking at completing 4 runs at or above 70km - so if I start hassling you to know when you are starting some long run sessions - don't be surprised if I find you after having already done quite a bit of work already......

Looking forward to this event.

BTW - about 180km logged on the 205 so far. Not bad for just over a month of running (for me), when you factor in a marathon taper(ish) and recovery idlness....

4 Comments:

At 21/10/07 2:50 PM, Blogger Stu Mac said...

Oxfam, why am I not surprised....
:-)

Good luck in the training and combining the cricket duties too, look after that back!

 
At 21/10/07 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done, enjoy the training and make sure there is enough left to eat and drink on the finish line when The Girls come though, about 12 hours after you LOL

Good job with the pacing too, yes, there is always one! I have encountered a few while run leading and have become very good at moving on to chat to the next person.

 
At 20/12/07 12:43 AM, Blogger trailblazer777 said...

I was probably that annoying one...?
for example the photo @
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/gallery/0,22010,5026298-5006020-13,00.html
(which is also in the results booklet)
but hey I'm from Perth we dont have things like pacing groups over here, it was all a bit surreal in the best possible way and not what I was used to. only nationals as a racewalker was anything similiar.....
Next year if I return I hope to follow the 3 flat or 3.15 pacer...

 
At 20/12/07 11:38 PM, Blogger trailblazer777 said...

well thats cool to know I wasn't.
Especially as I really appreciated yourself and Charles getting me to 9k in spot on 5min per k, so I got almost 25% of the way with a bit of "time in the bank" as I wanted, and the most even start to a marathon I've had, you both did an excellent job as pacers from what I could see in my first experience of running with pacing groups...Hope to hang on to a group for much longer next year...
Thanks for the comment too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home