Saturday, September 22, 2007

22nd September, 29km, Span

This morning was the last of the long runs with the MM07 training group.
The plan was for 28km, but we had been given a little criticism for our courses being slightly longer than indicated - I say 'its not so easy to map a course accurately AND make it interesting to run AND make sure there is water AND make sure there are shorter options in the event of trouble etc'. But I figured today was not the day to push any boundaries, so the mapped course was 27.3km and it worked out at pretty close to that - by my 205 anyway.

The group were in good spirits today, and after the first 9km (when we were on the beach path) they settled into very consistent 6min/k for the remainder of the journey.

All up we were on the road for 2hr40min.
A little extra distance getting to and from the car.

For me it was perfect. During the run I had little or no discomfort in the troubled leg, and post run I have had no soreness - even forgot to use creams / pills to settle it down. So its all looking good. I'll decide tomorrow night if I will rest all week just to be sure.

So far I'm very happy with the 205, but still trying to figure out what info I need on the various screens. Has anyone else changed theirs from the default settings?

Next Saturday is a mere 15km, so we'll just do some mucking around in the city precinct to keep it gentle and light.

3 Comments:

At 23/9/07 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm, yes, I have had the odd gripe about course accuracy as well, and I am only leading the 5Km group!! Thing is my course is 5.7Km, most people are really happy when I tell them because they are proud to have run more than 5Km, but the occasional person gives me "the look". I have learned who needs to be handled differently and I tell then that it is good to walk out the last 500 mtres as a cool down and leave them to it.

For runners like us who are happy to just get out there are run without the distance hang up it is difficult to understand the mentality. I think it is a mark of a real runner when you are no longer clock/distance watching, just waiting to be told you are allowed to stop now.

I am sure the majority of your group are having a ball, I know you are great company on a long run :-)

 
At 24/9/07 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've changed my 205 so that it shows tiime of day, pace, distance and something else (can't remember unless I actually turn the Garmin on).

I've also got a custom one for when I ride my bike too and I swap between the two.

 
At 24/9/07 4:19 PM, Blogger JH said...

As long as you're not dragging people 10k over the published distance and leaving them out in the middle of nowhere, I don't really see the problem.

If they run an extra km, so be it.

I'm sure you've been picking the courses as best you can. People just need to chill out and take some responsibility for their own running.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home