Thursday, January 26, 2006

Social Observation 2

I once heard a story about a successful sports person, I think it was Mick Doohan but not 100% sure, that he used to get frustrated at times when he tried to be a normal person and just pay for things like meals in a restaurant etc, but he said the more success he had and the more he was able to pay for things, the more people tried to give him things for free. The richer he got, the harder it was for him to spend the money…..

So as time goes by I have realised more and more that the difference between normal people and the rich and famous is not just in the size of the bank balance. Even in business and the high income earners, the more money that is earned, the easier it is to find tax breaks, so the less tax etc is actually paid.

For me this week when it was announced that the tax payer was going to contribute to Kerry Packers funeral that I really had to shake my head and wonder where the logic has gone. Surely a man with billions of dollars had a little tucked away that could cover the costs of his funeral / memorial. I have no position as far as whether he is someone that the country should make a big deal about, I never really paid that much attention to him. But my tax dollars paying for his memorial, even if it is only a ‘small’ amount, does not sit easily with me.

If I ever find myself in a position of either wealth or influence, I hope that I am able to demonstrate that free rides and unreasonable advantages should not be just accepted because people have extra 0000’s in the bank.

2 Comments:

At 26/1/06 3:44 PM, Blogger Stu Mac said...

I agree 100% Mick re Kerry. Whilst I have no problems with Kerry Packer and I don't have a problem with him having a big service. But I do remember when reading the newspaper the day that John Howard announced that it would be paid by tax dollars, I questioned this immediately.

And I think Kerry Packer would too, he was one of the richest persons in Australia and one of the most powerful, I think he would be embarassed!

 
At 29/1/06 10:01 PM, Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

I second all that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home