Saturday, February 04, 2006

Catch up time.... Runs 12 & 13 (Race 1) & 14.

Been under the pump so have not been able to update on recent running occurrences. Although I did try to update from home, but I must have got the address wrong since it did not turn up on the blog….oh well the pearls of wisdom may need to be added later.

 

Run 12 – Tuesday before my first race. I nearly didn’t run but once I started I was glad I did, as my legs / knees / calves were pretty tender from the long run on Sunday. I went to the Dorset Rec Reserve again, planned on 2 very easy laps. Lap 1 felt pretty bad but Ok once I was warmed up. Finished in 17.30, quick stretch and onto lap 2, feeling more comfortable and lighter on my feet. I decided to take some checkpoint timings for future reference and pacing when at this course. Second lap quicker with a fastish finish 16.30. But compared to 16.0 & 15.0 of my last visit this was a very casual run. Good to have a nice loosener before the race on the next evening. 35mins.

 

Race 1 – Sunset Series Race 1 – Melbourne Zoo – 8km. For my full race report go to http://forums.ausrun.com.au visit the Events section and go to Sunset Series.

(shameless promotion of our little forum…..)  But in summary, it was great to get out to an event, met up with many familiar faces, including Ausrunners, Nike people and past Nike Running Club runners. 8km in 2 laps, the rain meant a slightly damp and slippery course, it turned out to be quite twisting which contributed to a slow early part to the race, but the pace was quicker than planned….if that makes sense. I was feeling comfortable at a quicker pace than I thought I would.

First lap done in about 17min, second lap opened up a bit and I felt pretty good most of the way, on reflection the only thing I didn’t have was a burst to hit the last km with. Finshed in 33.50ish, but official results have me at 33.21???  Overall, happy with the first race of the year at better than 4.15pace.

 

Run 14 – Friday in the city, met with Jarrad again, who was feeling pumped and ready for a good one. I was tired (too many short nights sleep) and the legs a little tender from the weeks running. Particularly my knees and calves, my calves I think were still trashed from Sunday, and the hard run on Wed didn’t do them any favours. But I took it easy early till I met up with J, then he tells me he wants to do the longer Faulkner Park loop, by the top of the Tan I was feeling OK, so we did the FP loop. On the way back he was feeling jumpy and I could tell he wanted the pace lifted, I went with him, and once I stopped thinking about my legs it all came a little easier, it turned out that I was in better shape than I thought, and the last 2-3ks of the run were pretty quick. I was happy that Jarrad was feeling better, since his disappointment over his last race, and also happy that I am finding it easier and easier to string quick sessions together. Overall I was running for over 60min again.  If I can get a run in on Sunday I will be back on track for my 150 target.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home