Thursday, June 21, 2007

21st June - speed reps 8.5km (PegTC)

First time running on the newly resurfaced Croydon athletics track. It is a much nicer place to run than the old dead black surface, it almost made the mind numbing circuits bearable.

After a 10min warm-up of slow jogging and some dynamic stretching / loosening.

I embarked on the following:

400,400, 600, 600, 800, 800, 600, 600, 400, 400.

I'd set my count down timer to 22 & 23 sec to give me splits for 90sec laps, or 3m45s pace.
This is to keep me in line with my end of year goal for a 37m30s 10km.

In my first two 400m reps I was too quick and lapped in about 84s.
As the reps went on and increased in length the pace settled. Usually getting closer to splits but only due to backing off at the end or having to push to stay on track.
Only once I went over the 90sec by 1 sec.
My rest breaks were a little mixed generally based on feel, but always a multiple of 22sec. Ranged from 45s to 90sec. Sometimes walking, sometimes just sucking in the big ones. I had a bottle but found it tough to grab a drink of any usefulness.

For my last 400 I decided to give it a bit more effort to see how I went. Due to the feeling during the others I was not sure of anything good so eased into it. First 100m in about 20sec. Then I worked into it, was well ahead after 200m, the final 100m was into the wind but I still felt strong. Finished off in about 75sec. Satisfying enough, but was too soft in the first 100m.

For a cooldown I decided to take off my shoes and run barefoot for a lap or 2. Why? Well, I've signed up to be a crash test dummy for a new 'barefoot running' shoe brand. Still on the standby list for now but figured a little pre-work would be wise.
I lasted 400m on the track, then my baby skin feet couldn't take it, so one more lap on the inside on the grass. I was interested to notice that my barefoot running style did not differ too much from normal shod running. Thats a good thing I think.

A good session to mix it up a bit, challenge is to speed them up in the coming months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home