Saturday, June 02, 2007

2nd June - It was almost raining

Todays plan was to allow the 'early waker' to rise, I would then feed him and set him up with a favourite video to allow the 'sleeperinerers' to rest. Thinking this would be about 6.30am I ensured an earlyish bed time.

So it was a nice surprise when he came over at 7.15am, but given the delay figured it was best to get the 'all clear' before departing for close to 2 hrs.

With daylight and a light drizzle, I was off towards Lilydale. Undecided on where to run, not really wanting to stick entirely on the Warby Trail, but not wanting to run too many tough hills.
Eventually settled on parking at the lake, then making my way via some previously run roads (gravel) to Mt Evelyn. This section is the tough hilly bit and having it done before halfway was ideal. I'm actually preferring this to the relentless gentle rise of the Warby trail in this area.

Aiming for 40-42min then turn, arriving at Mt Evelyn after 30min meant an extension down the trail. Here I noticed a new addition of distance markers. I was horrified, the Warby trail has gone all technical ;). Seriously, its a nice addition but unsure of how accurate they are.

At 42min I turned for the return leg which would stay on the trail until departing to get back to the lake. Easy on the rise to Mt Evelyn, then allowed my legs to just take me on the downhill run to the lake.

It was nice just to allow things to happen, effort level was spot on. According to my SDM at the turn I was at 5.00 pace, by the time I stopped back at the car the ave had dropped to 4.48 so happy with that (even though it was downhill).

81min of runing covered 17km+ a nice slightly longer hit-out today.


Shoes: Nike Zoom Vomero - I am not normally one to get too involved in singing the praises of one shoe, particularly since there is no one right shoe for everyone. But.....during todays run the reality of the shoes on my feet dawned on me...... if you wear a neutral shoe and like good cushioning then I'd recommend at least trying the Vomero.
Without a doubt they are the softest shoe I've ever worn, but they do not feel spongy and leave you feeling bogged down in the foam.
Last year I wore them for MM2006 after almost 200km wear, I've been wearing them regularly since, so would have easily done 400km+ in total.
They are now my shoe of choice if there is any chance my legs will feel heavy or battered. Without fail, they provide a nice smooth and comfortable ride, the cushioning is ideal for just cruising along with the impact severely dulled. But if you want to pick up the pace then they simply feel great under foot.
Despite the distance covered in them they still feel as good on my feet as when new. I think the mixture of zoom air and duralon foam is a perfect match.
The only negative feedback I've heard is that the toe box and forefoot upper is a bit small and tight. There are times when I have noticed this, but never to the point where its a big problem.
So take care with the fit in this area.

Shameless plug ended.....

1 Comments:

At 2/6/07 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, those markers were clearly installed by a dyslexic LOL

Riding the trail the other day we left from Wandin and the markers went, 28Km, 22Km then 26Km to Warby. Unless of course there is a rip in the time/space continuum and somehow we slipped into a time warp.

Then out of Seville there is a marker that says 12Km to Warby.

Not very much help really.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home