Saturday, June 23, 2007

23rd June - 26km+, 2hr05min, Peg

Something must be going right, since even though I thought of all the excuses under the cloudy sky for not running or not running where I ran, when the crunch came it was almost automatic.


After failing to recruit a victim - I mean running partner.... It was solo that I left the Croydon Aths carpark at 6.50am.


In December 2006 one of the largest gatherings of the ESRG headed out for a 'mildly challenging course' which included a foray into the Mt Dandenong foothills. On that day the pace was relaxed with plenty of rest breaks etc to keep the group together. It was approx 23km and took us somewhere near 2hr20min. At the time I made a comment on Ausrun that I would run the course again.

So today I did. Without going into details except to say that I'm glad i felt better once in the hills, as the first 50min was a real struggle physically and mentally - I'm still not sure why.

I didn't run the same course exactly due to a bad memory, but my version meant that I stumbled (not literally) upon a picnic ground with toilets and fresh water. I know this is important to many, so if you go to this saved course http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1073310 near 14km I made a square over the picnic area.

Felt good in the hills and only had to walk one section where it was far too steep and muddy to run up. Then with the allotted time disappearing quickly I had to put the pace on a little more for the last 6km from the end of Glasgow Rd, roughly 4m30s pace.

Once all done, I was very pleased with the run and again with the course. I really should spend some more time running those Mt Dandy trails, its amazing up there. Particularly today when I crossed over what must be very close to the headwaters of the Dandenong Creek.

At 2hr+ and 26km I am back to where I was in April before I had the ITB niggle and then the running blues. I am now feeling a bit more in control of my running and more importantly my fitness.

3 Comments:

At 24/6/07 12:03 PM, Blogger Andrew(ajh) said...

Clarkey, that sounds like a wonderful run, both from the point of view of how well you felt, and the location. I am very envious of you guys who live over that side of town, I think your running location choices are far superior to ours in the North-West suburbs.

 
At 24/6/07 2:37 PM, Blogger jojo said...

fantastic effort! sounds like a great run

 
At 25/6/07 10:25 AM, Blogger JH said...

Sorry I missed that run, Clarkey.

I've never run up in the hills there.

Unfortunately the porcelain bus was calling me last weekend.

Perhaps next week?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home